A common but potentially problematic condition that often exists in dentistry is known as dental anxiety. Most individuals experience dental anxiety at some point in their lives. Dental anxiety consists of stresses, fears, or concerns that typically arise when visiting the dentist office. It may be due to a fear of strange sounds, the idea of having your teeth and gums worked on, or simply an aversion to oral health care.
Fortunately, there are numerous treatments that can be done both in-office and at home to help lower your anxiety, including the following:
– Regulating breathing in a manner in which you are breathing deeply, slowly, and counting your breaths is effective for treating dental anxiety.
– Imagine yourself in a happy place that can help ease your mind, including at a beach, garden, or other location that brings you happiness.
– Holding a squeeze toy such as a stress ball or fidget spinner may be useful during treatments.
– Biofeedback has been shown to be effective for preventing dental anxiety.
– You can help ease the burden of dental anxiety by practicing meditation or yoga.
– Dental anxiety can be treated via calming and relaxing music.
– Any likely fears of pain that you may experience can easily be relieved with sedation dentistry and local anesthetics.
– Dental anxiety can sometimes be connected to an ignorance of the dental procedures at hand. Thus, never be afraid to ask your dentist any questions you may have to help assuage any fears associated with the unknown.
If you are in need of dental anxiety care in Ventura, California, come visit Healthy Living Dental for a comprehensive exam or cleaning. To schedule an appointment, you can ring our dentist office at 805-677-7703. Under the guiding hand of Dr. Ben Yoong and our team, we can help to repair and restore your smile!